TODAY: Remembering Main South’s Oread Collegiate InstituteWritten by admin on May 23rd, 2012
Remembering the Oread Collegiate Institute: TODAY, May 23rd
5:30 pm – 7:00 pm
· 1st woman’s college in United States
· Current site of Castle Park
Oread-Castle Park, at the children’s playground
· Walk & Talk around the park: photos, discussion of the Oread Collegiate Institute, “The Castle”
· Brief overview of “The Castle” by Jan Parent, docent of Preservation Worcester
· Interviews with:
- Eli Thayer, founder and architect, as portrayed by Jairo Reyes Vega
- Maria Goodrich, alumna & wife of 1st principal of WPI, as portrayed by Sara Hazouri
- Mary E. Lincoln, student & future wife of George I. Alden, as portrayed by Lucero Reyes Vega
· Light refreshments
This is a Facebook event – check the Friends of Castle Park page for more information on “The Castle” and future events in the Park.
Sponsored by the Castle Park Task Force and the Main South Community Development Corporation with gracious help from the College of the Holy Cross Theatre Department, Worcester Historical Museum, Preservation Worcester, Worcester Public Library, interns from University Park Campus School, and the City of Worcester.