Last Year’s March Raised Record-Breaking $211K for Local Hunger Relief!
Today, Congressman Jim McGovern is kicking off the 7th annual “Monte’s March,” a 43-mile two-day walk as part of his anti-hunger push in Western Massachusetts.
Congressmen Joe Kennedy III will be among those joining the event.
The march is aimed at helping to increase awareness about hunger in local communities and help Massachusetts families in need this Thanksgiving. All proceeds will benefit The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts. Last year, the event raised more than $200,000.
· WHAT: Monte’s March, a 43-mile anti-hunger march across Western Massachusetts
· WHEN: Today, 11/21 and Tuesday, 11/22
· WHERE: March will cover 43 miles across Hampden, Hampshire, and Franklin Counties.
“Thanksgiving is about more than just being thankful,” Congressman McGovern said. “It’s about bringing families, friends, and communities together to help those who are in need. I’m so grateful that here in the Pioneer Valley, we know the importance of helping our neighbors. Hunger is something that touches too many families across the Commonwealth, but working together, we can help ensure that no family goes hungry this holiday season.”
Joining Congressman McGovern for the full 43 miles will be the founder of Monte’s March, WRSI The River radio host Monte Belmonte, as well as Andrew Morehouse, the Executive Director of The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts.
This year’s hunger walk starts today at 7 a.m. at the Martin Luther King Jr. Community in Springfield, and end tomorrow in Greenfield.
FULL SCHEDULE FOR THE 43-MILE HUNGER MARCH:
Today, 11/20: First day of march is 17 miles from Springfield to Northampton
· 10:00 a.m.: Kate’s Kitchen (Joined by Massachusetts Rep. Vega)
· 10:30 a.m.: Gateway City Arts
· 11:00 a.m.: Enlace de Familias (299 Main St., Holyoke)
· 2:00 p.m.: Northampton Courthouse Day 1 march concludes.
Tuesday, 11/21: Second day of march is 26 miles from Northampton to Greenfield:
· 6:00 a.m.: Depart McGovern Northampton Office (Joined by Northampton Mayor Narkewicz)
· 9:15 a.m.: Downtown Amherst
· 10:30 a.m.: Amherst Survival Center
· 12:00 p.m.: Bridgeside Grille
· 2:00 p.m.: Berkshire Brewing Company
· 6:00 p.m.: Finish march at Mag Pie (Joined by Greenfield Mayor Martin)