Fish feel pain!
Tofu Fish Sticks and Tartar Sauce
A few days ago Krys asked if I had a good recipe for fish and chips. I didn’t. So, I thought I would try to work out a palatable fish stick recipe tonight. The results were pretty good – the boys loved them and asked for seconds! I wanted the fish sticks to have a fishier taste, but I am not sure how to do that. I would also have liked the tofu to be a little firmer, but that is hard to do when the tofu is marinated. I am not really selling these, am I?
– 1 pkg tofu, cut into strips/sticks
– juice of half a lemon
– 1/4 cup of water
– 1 sheet nori
– 1/2 tsp sea salt
1. Process nori into a powder in a coffee grinder or food processor. Mix with other ingredients in a shallow dish and marinate tofu for a few hours.
– 1/2 cup flour
– 1/4 cup cornmeal
– 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
– 1/4 cup bread crumbs
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 tsp kelp granules (optional)
– 1 tsp onion powder
– 1/2 tsp garlic powder
– freshly ground pepper
– 1 1/2 cup soy milk
– 1 tsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lightly oil.
1. Mix together breading ingredients in a shallow dish. Roll tofu in breading to coat.
2. Mix lemon juice into soy milk and stir until thickened. Dip breaded tofu into soy milk mixture, then coat again with dry breading.
3. Place on cookie sheet. Lightly spray with cooking oil.
4. Bake 15 mins. Flip. Bake 15 more mins. Seve with tartar sauce.
Mix together the following:
– 1 cup vegenaise
– 1 dill pickle, minced
– 1/2 small onion, minced
– small drop of mustard
Vegan Kimbap (aka Gimbap): Veggie, Rice, and Seaweed Roll
2 cups short grain rice, cooked
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 portobello mushroom cap, sliced
1 carrot, julienned
2 cups spinach
1 pkg. dried seaweed sheets (gim)
5 strips pickled daikon radish (danmuji)
1 cucumber, sliced lengthwise
1 block cooked tofu, cut into strips (optional)
Mix the cooked rice with the sesame oil and salt. Set aside.
Sauté the mushroom slices, carrots, and spinach individually. Allow each to cool.
Place a seaweed sheet on a bamboo mat. Spread the rice mixture evenly over the seaweed, leaving a 1-inch border without rice.
Stack the carrots, spinach, mushroom, radish, cucumber, and cooked tofu and roll it up tightly.
Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into bite-size pieces. Repeat this process using the remaining ingredients.
Makes about 5 servings
Easter approaches …